Paracetamol and other essential medicines will now be available at cheaper prices in India following amendments to the list of essential medicines. One tablet of paracetamol will be available for 89 paise, and metformin for diabetes type-2 will be available for two rupees. The National Drug Prescribing Authority (NPPA) claims that there has been a decline of up to 17% in respect of essential drugs, with over 200 medicines seeing a reduction in price. The government reviews the order every year, and the list of essential medicines was revised in November 2022.
“Essential Medicines Prices Drop Significantly: Paracetamol Now Available for Less Than Re 1”
– Paracetamol medicine now available at pharmacy shops for less than Re 1
– Amendment in the list of essential medicines has reduced the sale of more than 200 medicines
– One tablet of paracetamol available for 89 paise and metformin for diabetes type-2 available for two rupees
– National Drug Prescribing Authority (NPPA) claims a decline of up to 17% in respect of essential drugs
– Paracetamol 500 mg tablet is cheaper by up to 12%
– Telmisartan drug used in complications like high blood pressure, heart attack has become cheaper by 7.65%
– Reduction of 5.63% in the price of metformin
– List of essential medicines was revised in November 2022 and now includes 870 types of medicines
– Ceiling price of essential medicines increased up to 12.12% from April 1, 2022
– Paracetamol tablet was available for Rs 1.01 till April 2022, after revision in November 2022, the price reached 80 paise, and based on the new price from April 1, it is available for 89 paise.
– The government reviews the order every year under the Control of Rights Fee Order, 2013.